We tend to buy a lot of ground beef in advance, because it’s easy to freeze it in for the “hungry days”. So here is another recipe with ground beef; home made meatballs (I prefer them flat but you could leave ‘m as balls if you prefer it that way).
Enjoy & selamat makan!
Broccoli & Flat meatballs
INGREDIENTS (for 3 persons)
Needed for broccoli:
- 1 broccoli
- 2 onions
- 3 toes of garlic
- a splash of vinigar
- a bit of salt
- some nutmeg
- some ginger powder
- some kurkuma
Needed for Meatballs:
- 500 gr ground beef
- an egg
- some ketoembar
- some djinten
- some laos
- some white pepper
- some ketjap asin
- a teaspoon of garlic paste
- a teaspoon of petis udang paste
- a bit of Rasa Sapi (Indonesian beef boulion powder)
- a lil bag of Knorr Gravy. (optional)
- A cup of water
- A wok
- A frying pan
- A cooking pot
- a bowl
* Crack the egg in a bowl. Add the spices (for meatballs) to it and mix it together until it becomes one brownish smooth mixture.
* Add the ground beef to the to the mixture and kneed into one smooth mixture. Leave the ground beef alone for a while.
* Chop the broccoli into little chunks. Cook it for 10 minutes in a mixture of water, a splash of vinigar, some nutmeg and a little bit of salt.
* Add some oil to the wok and put the wok on the fire. Chop up the onions and the garlic, throw it in the wok.
* Take the broccoli out of the pan and allow it to drain. (Do not throw the water from the broccoli away, there’s still lots of flavor to it.) Put the broccoli in the wok and stir fry for a while. Add a splash of the broccoli water to the wok and leave it to simmer on a medium fire. When the broccoli water seems to vaporize, add another splash. Not too much, though.
* Focus on the ground beef again. Kneed about 6 to 12 flat meatballs (depending on how big you want them to be).
* Melt some butter in a frying pan. Add the flat meatballs to the frying pan and bake the them evenly on both sides till they’re nice and brown.
* Meanwhile, you can add some kurkuma and some ginger powder to taste to the broccoli and stir fry some more.
* Once the flat meatballs are done, don’t throw away the fat in the frying pan. Instead, chop up an onion and melt 50 gr extra butter in that same frying pan on a high fire. Add a cup of water (and the Knorr Gravy pack) and keep stirring and cooking for a minute. Now you have gravy for the flat meatballs.
SERVING & TIPS:
* Serve with white rice, mashed potatoes or go crazy and cook up some noodles with a drop of Petis Udang Paste and some Rasa Sapi.
* Don’t have Petis Udang? The meatballs taste just as good without it.