My best friend’s boyfriend originally came from the St. Vincent and The Grenadines Island. To impress us, he offered to cook a recipe that has gone from generation to generation in his family. It’s a dish with mackerel and coconut rice with black-eyed peas. It tastes very good! It tasted so good that I had to ask him for the recipe. And so here I will share it with whoever reads this blog.
Most of the ingredients can be found in your local grocery store. The dish is very easy to prepair and is great during hot summer days. Enjoy!
Ingredients for coconut rice and black-eyed peas
1/2 cup coconut milk
2 cups water
1 (15.5 ounce) can black-eyed peas, drained
1 cup rice
a little bit of salt
In a saucepan, combine the coconut milk, water and black-eyed peas. Stir in rice. Bring to a boil, cover and reduce heat to low. Simmer until rice has absorbed all of the liquid, about 40 minutes.
Ingredients for grilled mackerel
1tsp crushed black peppercorns
2tsp ground coriander
1tbsp finely grated lemon zest
1 red chilli, deseeded and finely chopped
4 large mackerel, or 6 small ones
2tbsp chopped coriander
1 small red onion, peeled and thinly sliced
- Pre heat the grill to high. Mix the black peppercorns, ground coriander and lemon zest together in a bowl. Grate the zest from half an orange and stir into the coriander mixture with half the chopped red chilli.
- Clean the mackerel, remove the head and guts. Lightly cut the skin of the mackerel and press the mixture onto the fish. Place the mackerel on a grill rack and grill, skin-side up, for 5 minutes or until crisp and cooked through. Sprinkle with the chopped coriander.
- Meanwhile, segment the oranges. First slice the top and bottom off each orange, then cut away the peel and any white pith using a small, sharp knife. Cut down either side of each segment to release it.
- Divide the watercress between four plates and scatter with the orange segments, sliced red onion and remaining chilli. Top with the grilled mackerel and serve immediately.
Ingredients side salad:
1 head romaine lettuce
3/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
3 tablespoons red wine vinegar
1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 tablespoon ground mustard
1 clove crushed garlic
1 lemon, juiced
freshly ground black pepper
3 cherry tomatoes
1 cucumber, sliced into little chunks
1 (2 ounce) can sweet corn
- Clean lettuce thoroughly and wrap in paper towels to absorb moisture. Refrigerate until crisp, at least 1 hour or more.
- In a bowl or jar combine oil, vinegar, Worcestershire sauce, salt, mustard, garlic and lemon juice. Whisk until well blended.
- To assemble, place torn lettuce leaves in a large bowl. Add the sweet corn and the sliced cucumber. Pour home-made dressing over the top and toss lightly until dressing is evenly mixed through the salad. Cut the cherry tomatoes into 6 slices each and decorate the top of the salad. Serve immediately!
Tips and variations:
1. For the fish, you may leave out the oranges and just use a lemon instead.
2. You could try a peanut butter sauce instead of caesar salad dressing. For the peanut butter sauce recipe, check my Gado Gado recipe.
3. You may add other veggies to the salad if you like. You can even boil an egg and, slice it up and add it to the salad aswell.
4. For the coconut rice you may brown rice instead of the plain white kind.
5. You may leave out the 110g watercress
6. If you don’t have a grill, you may also put the mackerel in the oven. Or fry it in a deep fryer or a big pan with lots of oil.
7. When you don’t feel like cleaning the fish, use mackerel filet instead.